The water purifier storage tank is made of either food-grade ABS or stainless steel. The cheaper ones come with ABS plastic and the premium ones come with stainless steel tanks.
Many people are confused about whether to choose a water purifier with an ABS storage tank or an SS storage tank. So in this article, we will try to differentiate between Stainless Steel Vs ABS Plastic Water Purifiers.
Before we learn about the differences between stainless steel vs ABS Plastic, we will learn about the advantages and disadvantages of stainless steel and ABS plastic.
What Is ABS Plastic?
The full form of ABS is Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. It is a food-grade plastic that has the ability to absorb impacts. What does it mean that ABS won’t break easily under impact?
It’s an opaque plastic that can be molded into any shape. It is also chemical-resistant and fatigue resistant. The presence of styrene makes it harder, improves the surface quality, and makes the surface very glossy if needed.
Since it’s plastic, it’s corrosion-resistant too. That makes it an ideal choice for use as a storage container for water purifiers.
Advantages Of ABS Plastic
- ABS is a food-grade plastic. So it does not do any chemical reaction with water and is thus safe too.
- ABS can be molded into any shape thus giving design flexibility.
- It is a highly impact-resistant plastic. It can absorb minors blows and fall easily without breaking
- Can be very glossy. So aesthetic appeal will be good.
- Light in weight compared to metal
- Can be molded with any color pigments.
- Relatively cheaper than metals.
Disadvantages Of ABS Plastic
- ABS plastic containers should be kept away from UV rays and heat.
- Although it’s a food-grade plastic over a period of time it can degrade its properties and may do chemical reactions with water
- Frequent cleaning of the storage tank is required
- Storage container with ABS plastic does not carry the premium feel that a metal counterpart carries.
What Is Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel is a ferrous alloy. The 11% chromium present in the stainless steel makes it corrosion-resistant and heat-resistant too.
Basically, the chromium creates a passive film layer that protects the metal from doing any chemical reaction with water and thus prevents it from corrosion.
Stainless steels are available in different grades like 304, 403, etc. If the grade is high, the cost is also high. The presence of nitrogen results in high mechanical strength and helps in corrosion resistance too.
One of the best parts about stainless steel is that it is very strong and gives a premium look to appliances. Stainless steel does not need any coating. So it looks like bare steel.
Advantages Of Stainless Steel
- Chemical-resistant and heat-resistant too
- Available in different grades
- Tougher than ABS plastic
- Does not degrades its properties over time as other plastics do
- Stainless steel is non-toxic
- Storage tanks with stainless steel last longer than ABS Plastic
- Cleaning is easy
Disadvantages Of Stainless Steel
- Not much design flexibility
- The glossy surface of stainless steel attracts fingerprints
- Compare to ABS plastic, stainless steel is heavy
- Relatively costlier than ABS plastic.
Stainless Steel Vs ABS Plastic Water Purifiers
|Stainless Steel||ABS Plastic|
|Little heavier than plastic||Very lightweight|
|Offers better chemical resistance||Degrades over the period of time|
|Poor impact resistance||Excellent impact resistance|
|Different grades are available based on the composition||No different commercial grades|
|More durable than ABS||ABS is also durable but not as good as SS|
|Gives a premium look to the water purifier||Cheaper water purifiers use ABS|
|Fewer varieties of models are available||Wide range of water purifier models available on the market|
|The stainless steel water purifier is easy to clean and maintain||Cleaning is not easy|
|SS water purifiers are costly||Cheaper compare to SS water purifiers.|
Conclusion: Stainless Steel Vs ABS Plastic Water Purifiers
No doubt, stainless steel is better in terms of look, durability, and overall value-for-money composition. But stainless steel water purifiers are very costly compared to ABS plastic which makes them a poor choice for budget customers.
But if you are buying water purifiers for the long term then I would suggest you go for stainless steel water purifiers as those are more durable and give a very good premium look.